mercoledì 22 luglio 2015

Arrivederci, Not Goodbye

by Laura Tressel

"Time flies when you're having fun!"
This is such a cliché expression, yet so very true. I can hardly believe that two months have already gone by and I am at the end of my internship here at Istituto Europeo. When I began, I didn't know entirely what to expect. I wanted to learn more about marketing, journalism, and about Florence, my beloved city. I knew that I would meet some interesting people and be writing a lot of informative articles, but I didn't know how much more the experience would give me.

Everything about my internship has been wonderful. From my daily walks through the city center, gazing longingly at the ever-changing window displays on Via Tornabuoni, to the exciting discoveries of events and people that make Florence the cultural treasure it is, to the sense of comfort and belonging i've felt here, it has all been so important to my personal growth. I've conducted interviews with fascinating characters, written articles about places that I didn't know existed before, but knew I had to visit afterwards, and explored the streets and ideas of Florence. In the end, I feel comfortable calling this magnificent city my second home.

Writing this article is a bittersweet thing for me. I am very happy with all the good experiences that I have created here. My weeks have been filled with leaning and writing, two things which make me very satisfied. But at the same time that I am happy to have this experience, I'm also sad to be leaving. My internship has been a huge part of making this summer the best of my life. I don't think that I am closing this chapter of my life though. I will take what I have learned and use it to keep expanding my knowledge and appreciation of Italian culture. I want to keep leaning the language so that when I return (which I definitely plan on doing) I will be even able to integrate even more into the society and to meet more of the fascinating and warm people of Florence.

Thank you to everyone who has made my time here at Istituto Europeo so great. It's been a pleasure interning here. I hate saying goodbye, so instead i'll say arrivederci, until we meet again!